Old 24-11-2003, 02:14 AM
V_coerulea

Default Vanda Root Generation

I'd wait for steady warmer weather. Then peal off a bunch of the woody old
leaf bases that can hinder root emergence if they stay too dry. Keep humid
and you shouldn't have any trouble producing roots high enough up to then
cut the plant off and repot. I've taken rootless cuttings 12-18", pealed off
the lowest leaves and hung them over a mist table where some other tropicals
were rooting. Wonderful roots in 2 weeks!
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
All,

I have a couple of Vandas that have grown into "palm trees" (these were
early victims of not enough fertilizer). The tops are healthy, and so are
the root systems, but tops and roots are too far apart! I'd like to be

able
to top these two.

Anyone have a good idea about generating roots up higher on the stem? I'm
hesitant to air layer, lest I kill 'em.

All thoughts appreciated!

Diana