Old 24-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Wendy

Default Catsetum pileatum

Your Catasetum pileatum is lovely Robert. Many
thanks for the growing tips.

Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Robert Dickow" wrote in message
. ..
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
et:

I recently purchased a Catsetum pileatum. It arrived and is comprised
of an older p/b and a new full of leaves growth. The information
about caring for it on the web is conflicting. Is now the stage when
I hold back the water completely? Is the new growth about to shed it's

Catasetum pileatum, of which I have grown several, is a spectacular and
easy-growing plant, though the flowers only look in perfect condition
for a short time.

Water them copiously, do NOT divide them down too much, and dry out
completely (gradually witholding water until no water is given) until
new growth is well along. Mine always bloomed while in leaf. I did
extremely well with these in a bright portion of my cattleya collection,
but they even do well on windowsills. When mine bloomed I let them stand
on inverted pots and let the spikes (which are pendent) grow down over
the side of the bench.

I have read (in Holst's book) that shade is their want, but I always
grow mine bright. I have never had a female flower appear (though Ctsm
tenebrosum easily threw females in a similar though MORE shady location.

Check out one of my yellows at
http://cosmo.turbonet.com/Ctsm_pileatum.jpg

I had a gorgeous green one, and a pure white one, and one with spots.
They are all beautiful.

--
* Bob Dickow ) *