Old 24-11-2003, 02:13 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Vanda Root Generation

All,

I have a couple of Vandas that have grown into "palm trees" (these were
early victims of not enough fertilizer). The tops are healthy, and so are
the root systems, but tops and roots are too far apart! I'd like to be able
to top these two.

Anyone have a good idea about generating roots up higher on the stem? I'm
hesitant to air layer, lest I kill 'em.

All thoughts appreciated!

Diana

The following method is one we have used for years and does not require that
you cut away the top until new roots have formed.

The easiest way is to get a quart size plastic sandwich bag. Cut the bag open
on the sides and bottom. Using moist NZ spagnum moss wrap it around the stem of
the vanda. Put the plastic bag around the spagnum and secure with plastic ties.
Leave a small opening at the top and bottom so that you can keep the spagnum
moist.

Within a few weeks you should see roots develop. When the bag is filled with
roots cut the stem below the bag and repot either in a basket filled with
medium charcoal or you medium of choice.

By using this method you do not risk the chance of killing the plant.

The remaining stem and old roots might form a keiki so try to keep it moist and
see what happens.