Old 25-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Robert Dickow

Default catasetum gender

"Eric Hunt" wrote in
:

Agnatha,

Most of the time Catasetums bloom male. Higher light and heat
conditions will cause female blooms, which are the boring, massive
helmet shaped blooms. The male blooms are the colorful, eye-catching
ones, and they are produced usually under shadier conditions than
female blooms.

Yes, high light is supposed ot promote female flowers. But here's one of
my experiences that is interesting.

For some years I grew a Ctsm. tenebrosum on a bright windowsill, and it
gave always male flowers. Later I grew the same plant in a greenhouse.
For six years I could only get female flowers, even though I was putting
the plant under a shady bench. In the same greenhouse several other
Catasetums only produced males. This was in a normal mixed collection;
average Cattleya conditions, (with an underrated heater that sometimes
let the greenhouse approach near freezing temps in winter).

--
* Bob Dickow ) *