Old 25-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Shell

Default Question For Discussion

Just wondering what plants other people have in thier gardens and houses and
why you chose them. Myself I like some of the more unusual plants like
Lithops, Proteus, Sword Sansevaria, Succulents, and Orchids.

I have Bougainvillea (5 different), Meyers Lemon, Purple Fountain Grass,
Japanese Blood Grass, a huge red Amaryllis, Bearded Iris, Japanese Iris,
Daylilies, English Ivy, a Lacy Leaf Japanese Red Maple, a couple of
miniature roses, a Mostly Wild Rose, a red Geranium, a couple of portulaca
plants (one with the mealies from hell living in it), a Holly hedge and a
hedge I have no idea what it is, and a few trees in the yard. I will be
planting some Irish Moss and some other type of ground cover that will fill
up a shady and semi damp area fast this spring. I would like to overseed
the grass with a nice winter grass and I will plant coneflowers, columbines,
lavendar, dill, a few rosemary plants, some hot pink castor bean plants,
Flamingo Feather Celosia, and some Black Dragon Coleus. I seem to lean
towars the red-pink-purple area of the spectrum.

For inside I have several species and hybrid Orchids, several different
succulents, a Cardboard Palm, a Ponytail Palm, a Tillandsia, a Pencil
Cactus, Sword Sansevaria, a Dancing Ladies Ginger (which will go outside
this coming spring or summer), and a combiation pot of Wandering Jew and
Airplane Plant. I will be starting some tomatoes (4 kinds which do well in
containers), several kinds of cacti, lithops, sempervium, Protea nerifolia,
Protea grandiceps.

And just for fun and to see if I can I will start some Pistachio, Baobab,
Red Sealing Wax Palm, Giant Sequoia, and Bristlecone Pine trees. And I have
on the way a Euphorbia called Red Bird Plant or Devil's Backbone about which
I know very little. By the way, any dvice or help is appreciated on any of
these plants.

I hope to have a yard and house full of interesting plants and flowers
someday. This is very much a learning experience for me as well as a hobby
and way to keep busy.

Shell