Old 25-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Shell

Default Question For Discussion

Just wondering what plants other people have in thier gardens and houses and
why you chose them. Myself I like some of the more unusual plants like
Lithops, Proteus, Sword Sansevaria, Succulents, and Orchids.

I have Bougainvillea (5 different), Meyers Lemon, Purple Fountain Grass,
Japanese Blood Grass, a huge red Amaryllis, Bearded Iris, Japanese Iris,
Daylilies, English Ivy, a Lacy Leaf Japanese Red Maple, a couple of
miniature roses, a Mostly Wild Rose, a red Geranium, a couple of portulaca
plants (one with the mealies from hell living in it), a Holly hedge and a
hedge I have no idea what it is, and a few trees in the yard. I will be
planting some Irish Moss and some other type of ground cover that will fill
up a shady and semi damp area fast this spring. I would like to overseed
the grass with a nice winter grass and I will plant coneflowers, columbines,
lavendar, dill, a few rosemary plants, some hot pink castor bean plants,
Flamingo Feather Celosia, and some Black Dragon Coleus. I seem to lean
towars the red-pink-purple area of the spectrum.

For inside I have several species and hybrid Orchids, several different
succulents, a Cardboard Palm, a Ponytail Palm, a Tillandsia, a Pencil
Cactus, Sword Sansevaria, a Dancing Ladies Ginger (which will go outside
this coming spring or summer), and a combiation pot of Wandering Jew and
Airplane Plant. I will be starting some tomatoes (4 kinds which do well in
containers), several kinds of cacti, lithops, sempervium, Protea nerifolia,
Protea grandiceps.

And just for fun and to see if I can I will start some Pistachio, Baobab,
Red Sealing Wax Palm, Giant Sequoia, and Bristlecone Pine trees. And I have
on the way a Euphorbia called Red Bird Plant or Devil's Backbone about which
I know very little. By the way, any dvice or help is appreciated on any of
these plants.

I hope to have a yard and house full of interesting plants and flowers
someday. This is very much a learning experience for me as well as a hobby
and way to keep busy.

Shell

Old 26-11-2003, 01:03 AM
animaux

You asked for it:

Plant list of 2003 which has not been fully updated:

Acanthus mollis
Acanthus spinosa
Agave (variegated)
Aquilegia chrysantha var. 'Hinkleyi'
Alocasia micholitziana 'Freydek'
Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata' (var. ginger lily)
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans" (porcelain berry vine)
Apples ('Granny Smith' and 'Mollies Delicious')
Aristolochia elegans aka Dutchman's Pipevine
Aristolochia fimbriata
Artemesia stelleriana 'Silver Brocade'
Asclepias
Aster oblongfolia aka Hardy blue aster
Athyrium Niponicum 'Pictum' (Japanese painted fern)
Autumn fern
Bauhinia (orchid tree, tender)
Blackberry 'Navaho'
Brugmansia (2 unidentified)
Brugmansia candida
Brugmansia spp.
Brugmansia suavolens (3 varieties)
Brugmansia versicolor 'Alba'
Buddleia davidii 'Harlequin'
Burford holly
Burr oak
Caesalpinia pulcherrima aka Pride of Barbados or Texas Bird of Paradise
Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' (feather reed grass)
Callicarpa dichotoma 'Dark Star' (American beautyberry)
Calocasia 'Black Princess'
Calocasia esculenta 'Illustris' (Imperial taro)
Calylophus drummondianus var. berlandieri
Canna (yellow, not named)
Canna 'Tropicana'
Canna x generalis 'Pretoria'
Canna x hybrid 'Striped Beauty'
Cardoon
Cassia artemesioides
Cedar sage
Celosia argentea plumosa 'Flamingo Feather'
Ceratostigma plubaginoides (leadwort)
Cercis texinensis (native redbud)
Cercidium microphyllum aka Palo Verde
Chasmanthium latifolium (inland sea oats)
Cherry laurel
Cissus incisa Des Moulins aka Cow itch aka Ivy treebine
Clematis 'Sieboldi'
Clematis teriflora (sweet autumn clematis aka C. paniculata)
Clematis x jackmanii
Comfrey
Coreopsis
Cotinus coggygria `Purpureus'
Crepe myrtle
Cuphea (batface)
Datura inoxia
Datura metel
Datura meteloides
Datura wrightii
Desert Willow (2)
Dittany of Crete
Dolichos lablab (hyacinth bean vine)
Dryopteris normalis (fern)
Echinacea purpurea
Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'
Echinacea palida
Elcampane (Inula helenium)
Engelmannia pinnatifida (Engelman's daisy)
Erythrina herbacea aka Coral bean tree
Ficus pumila 'Variegata'
Flameleaf acanthus
Guara lindheimeri 'Siskyou Pink' and 'Corrie's Gold'
Hackberry tree
Hamelia patens 'Grande'
Hemerocallis 'Hall's Pink'
Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Orro
Hemerocallis sp.
Heuchera micrantha 'Palace Purple'
Holly Fern
Houttuynia cordata
Hybiscius syriacus (white double althea)
Hydrangea m. leucantha 'Queens lace'
Hydrangea petiolaris (climbing)
Hydrangea quercifolia aka Oakleaf hydrangea (3)
Hydrangea variegata
Inland sea oats
Ipomoea 'Blackie'
Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue'
Ipomoea 'Marguerite'
Iris foetidissima 'Gladwin'
Iris paeudocorus
Kapoc
Lantana montevidensis 'Weeping white'
Lantana 'Dallas Red'
Ligustrum sinense 'Variegatum' (Chinese privet)
Linaria vulgaris (Butter and Eggs)
Liriope spicata 'Silver Dragon'
Live Oak (three mature specimen trees) (3)
Maxmillion sunflower
Mexican hat
Miscanthus sinensis 'Cabaret'
Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegatus' (Japanese silver grass)
Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'
Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus'
Monarda citriodora (horsemint)
Muscari (grape hyacinth)
Nicotiana sylvestris
Oleander (white)
Ophiopogon flaniscapus 'Nigresens' (black mondo)
Osmunda cinamonea (fern)
Parkinsonia aculeata (Mexican Palo Verde)
Passiflora incarnata x 'Incense'
Passiflora foetidisima
Paulownia kavakamii
Peach 'Dixieland'
Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'
Penstemon 'Husker Red'
Perovskia atripolicifolia
Phyla incisa
Physostegia virginiana 'Summer Snow'
Pigeonberry
Pistachia chinensis
Pittosporum tobira 'Variegata'
Polygonum 'Langsford Variety'
Possom Haw Holly
Prickly poppy
Prunus cerasifera 'Thundercloud' (purple ornamental plum)
Rain Lily
Ranunculus repens 'Buttercup'
Rosa rugosa
Rose 'Sombruiel'
Rudbeckia sp.
Ruellia sp. 'Katy' (white)
Sage purple
Sage (culinary)
Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'
Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red'
Salvia coccinea 'White Nymph'
Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'
Salvia greggii 'Alba'
Salvia greggii 'Moonglow'
Salvia guaranitica
Salvia madrensis (forsythia sage, yellow flowers)
Salvia Mexicana 'Lollie Jackson'
Salvia nemosa 'East Friesland'
Salvia sinaloaensis (sapphire carpet sage)
Salvia Texana
Salvia tricolor
Sambucas Mexicana
Scabiosa caucasia 'Butterfly Blue'
Schizophragma integrifolium 'Moonlight'
Sedum acre
Sempervivum tectorum (hens and chicks)
Solanum jasminoides 'Grandiflora' (white potato vine)
Soldiago nemoralis aka Prairie goldenrod
Sophora secundiflora aka Mountain laurel
Spanish flag (vine)
Stachys coccinea aka Texas betony
Strawberries 'Sequoia'
Sword fern
Tecomaria capensis -Cape Honeysuckle
Thunburgia grandiflora
Tiarella cordifolia 'Black Velvet' (foamflower
Tricyrtis hirta
Tritoma (red hot poker)
Tripsicum dactyloides (Eastern gama grass)
Vanilla grass
Verbena x hybrida 'Blue Princess' (Texas A&M)
Veronica teucrium 'Royal Blue' (front yard)
Veronica x 'Sunny Border Blue'
Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue'
Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo' (sweet viburnum)
Viburnum burkwoodii
Viburnum tinus 'Spring Bouquet'
Vitex agnus castus (Chasteberry) blue and white two plants
Washingtonia robusta (Mexican fan palm)
Waxleaf ligustrum
Xylosema
Yarrow (common native white)
Yaupon holly
Yucca (blue curly)
Yucca (common)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:11:57 GMT, "Shell" opined:

Old 26-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

Just wondering what plants other people have in thier gardens and houses and
why you chose them. Myself I like some of the more unusual plants like
Lithops, Proteus, Sword Sansevaria, Succulents, and Orchids.

snip

Shell

I have a few unusual plants brought in from other areas of the
country. The nurseries around here refrain from stocking the unusual,
as these don't sell well. I have been looking for rue, ginger, and
ginkgo for over 2 years as I have not traveled since 9-11.
Old 26-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Shell

That's quite a list

Celosia argentea plumosa 'Flamingo Feather'

Got seeds of these.

Echinacea purpurea
Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'

Got seeds of these too

Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Orro

I have one of these in front of the front window, along with a beautiful
pale yellow one that I lost the name too

Sempervivum tectorum (hens and chicks)

Just got the seeds I ordered for these too

Vanilla grass

Vanilla grass? Have never heard of this one, I'll have to look it up, it
sounds interesting

Shell

Old 26-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Shell

Nursuries around here are the same. We do see ginger and I think ginko
around sometimes. We're zone 9 and sort of semi tropical. Don't know about
rue though. Most of my plants come from mail order, garage sales and the
local Lowe's or Home Depot.

Shell