Old 26-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Alan Gabriel

Default OT but please help a fellow gardener

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Graham Dixon" drop the bomb to
reply contains these words:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I

get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured

shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise

white
screen

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for'

version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

Have you only the one browser?

Right click on the URL in the panel at the top. The comment which
appears (may appear, depending on which browser you're using) may give
you a clue. Eg: 'Address not responding'. or, 'Cannot find page.' etc.

Are you using a proxy server? If so, can you configure your software so
you're not?

Your ISP may be having troubles, which wouldn't surprise me.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

quote
Taken from Sima in uk.games.video.xbox...

I got dns error before (2mb blueyonder)

"Report: Two routing/traffic issues are currently affecting PIPEX
customers.

A major backbone link between the UK and USA is down.

Additionally, an unrelated intermittent routing problem at our North
London site has affected traffic flow for some ADSL users.

Symptoms: The backbone problem is affecting several UK ISPs, including
PIPEX, and is likely to result in slow or intermittent connectivity to US
sites. Routing through the UK part of the network is also likely to be
affected.

The PIPEX routing problem has resulted in traffic to and from some
sessions and/or Web sites may be intermittent/slow and some servers may
not be reachable. This issue originally affected @xtreme2 and @xtreme
ADSL users, and our server network. It is now confined to @xtreme2 users
only but has been harder to troubleshoot as a result of the major
backbone outage in progress at the same time.

Actions: We currently have no update on the restoration of the backbone
link.

Our Network Engineering team are studying the PIPEX situation at present
and the situation should now have improved.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by these problems."

And posted on the ADSLguide forums:
"A TAT-14 transatlantic cable has gone down (the northern one). Given
that the southern one went down earlier this month and hasn't been fixed
yet I wouldn't expect a quick fix. This is NOT Pipex specific by the way"
/quote

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.