Old 25-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Graham Dixon

Default OT but please help a fellow gardener

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for' version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

Regards

Graham Dixon

Old 25-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Graham Dixon" drop the bomb to
reply contains these words:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for' version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

Have you only the one browser?

Right click on the URL in the panel at the top. The comment which
appears (may appear, depending on which browser you're using) may give
you a clue. Eg: 'Address not responding'. or, 'Cannot find page.' etc.

Are you using a proxy server? If so, can you configure your software so
you're not?

Your ISP may be having troubles, which wouldn't surprise me.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 26-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
[...]

quote
Taken from Sima in uk.games.video.xbox...

I got dns error before (2mb blueyonder)

"Report: Two routing/traffic issues are currently affecting PIPEX
customers.

A major backbone link between the UK and USA is down.

Additionally, an unrelated intermittent routing problem at our North
London site has affected traffic flow for some ADSL users.

Symptoms: The backbone problem is affecting several UK ISPs, including
PIPEX, and is likely to result in slow or intermittent connectivity to US
sites. Routing through the UK part of the network is also likely to be
affected.

The PIPEX routing problem has resulted in traffic to and from some
sessions and/or Web sites may be intermittent/slow and some servers may
not be reachable. This issue originally affected @xtreme2 and @xtreme
ADSL users, and our server network. It is now confined to @xtreme2 users
only but has been harder to troubleshoot as a result of the major
backbone outage in progress at the same time.

Actions: We currently have no update on the restoration of the backbone
link.

Our Network Engineering team are studying the PIPEX situation at present
and the situation should now have improved.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by these problems."

And posted on the ADSLguide forums:
"A TAT-14 transatlantic cable has gone down (the northern one). Given
that the southern one went down earlier this month and hasn't been fixed
yet I wouldn't expect a quick fix. This is NOT Pipex specific by the way"
/quote

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 26-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:19:03 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dixon"
drop the bomb to reply wrote:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

I have encountered this and THINK I solved it by right clicking on the
square and choosing "show picture". Try it but put no faith in my
shaky advice!

Pam in Bristol

Old 26-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Nick Wagg

Graham Dixon wrote:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

This is a substitute image which is displayed when your browser can't
find (or work out) which image file it ought to display. One common
cause for this is where the image file name has a space in the middle
of it. It should be replaced by %20 to display reliably with all
browsers on all systems, but that has to be done by the site in which
case you should email them to let them know.

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for' version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

You've not turned images off, have you?
--
Nick Wagg
Old 27-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim W

Nick Wagg wrote:

Graham Dixon wrote:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

This is a substitute image which is displayed when your browser can't
find (or work out) which image file it ought to display. One common
cause for this is where the image file name has a space in the middle
of it. It should be replaced by %20 to display reliably with all
browsers on all systems, but that has to be done by the site in which
case you should email them to let them know.

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for' version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

You've not turned images off, have you?

Nick is correct it is an image that cannot be loaded for some reason
(its not there, its taking too long, the coding which tells the page
where it is is wrong etc etc..)

If other pages you view work fine it is a local (to that website)
problem and shouldn't affect browsing too much.

Good sites should display 'alt tags' on images.. Small textual labels
that show up when this happens and tell you what the graphics would be
if you could see them.. This enables you to keep on using the site even
without images.

Jim

Old 28-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Ted Richardson

:
: At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for'
version
: but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar
:
: Any suggestions?
:
: Regards
:
: Graham Dixon

I had a similar problem some time ago, where I couldn't download
an .EXE program. I was using IE6 and WIN98.
It was finally sorted by a very helpful MS MVP in the land of Oz.
It was caused by Netscape type plug-ins not working with IE6
and involved delving into the registry.
If you think this may help I'll post you his solution to my problem.
Regards
Ted R.