Old 26-11-2003, 05:02 AM
profpam

Default catasetum gender

I might add something to the discussion:

The World of Catasetums by Arthur W. Holst is an excellent book on the
subject. And, on p.97, he says "Flower sex is very difficult to predict,
even if the grower pays attention to the amount of light exposure, but
it is smart to play the percentages. Certain plants, perhaps owing to
their inherent vigor, seem to be disposed to produce female flowers year
after year".
The "inherent vigor" perhaps goes along with K and Marilyn's statement.

Another interesting statement Holst makes is that "Catasetum plants
should be positioned to receive all the sunlight they can tolerate" when
new growth is forming. So, I would assume that it is best to move them
when a spike is forming -- shade for male flowers; sun for female
flowers. On a personal note, when I see a spike coming I take the plant
from the greenhouse and place it indoors in a sunny window. Whereas my
catasetums seem to respond by producing female flowers, my Cycnoches
most always seem to produce the male flowers.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

agnatha3141 wrote:

wow,
thanks guys. i appreciate the input, and i am keeping my fingers
crossed for a male. but another question for a different catasetum: if
you have bought a catasetum and you dont know when it has bloomed
recently, or if it has at all, how are you to know if it will bloom
again? if it has already bloomed and it is not in spike currently,
could it bloom again? i thought that one bloom was it for plants like
that. for a cycnoches that i had, i was of the understanding that it
was done after one flower, but then it surprised me. is this possible
with a catasetum?
--
agnatha3141