Old 26-11-2003, 05:32 AM
K Barrett

Default catasetum gender

"agnatha3141" wrote in message
s.com...
wow,
thanks guys. i appreciate the input, and i am keeping my fingers
crossed for a male. but another question for a different catasetum: if
you have bought a catasetum and you dont know when it has bloomed
recently, or if it has at all, how are you to know if it will bloom
again? if it has already bloomed and it is not in spike currently,
could it bloom again? i thought that one bloom was it for plants like
that. for a cycnoches that i had, i was of the understanding that it
was done after one flower, but then it surprised me. is this possible
with a catasetum?
--
agnatha3141

First off, Isn't 'agnatha' the classification for eels??

Then, to give my input on your questions...

1) If you bought a plant and don't know if it flowered then you have no idea
if it'll flower for you this year or not. Watch the plant and see if it
drops leaves (goes dormant) That will be your first clue. Of course there
are always those that bloom after they've dropped their leaves... so one can
never tell, and someone with more braincells than I have (or a better tag
system) will be able to tell you. Note: start your tag system *now!*

2) Yes I've had catsetiinae bloom from different eyes on the p/bulb. Very
satisfying when they do that! Mine happened with a Mormodes sinuata. Had 3
differnt spikes in one year, one after another. Then the next year 3 at one
time. That's when I got hooked.

I have no idea if Catasetums per se will rebloom. But judging from members
of the same subtribe I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

As an aside, one way to distinguish amongst the various cataseniinae (sp is
wrong there) is by where the infloresence arises along the p/bulb. Cycnoches
at the top, Mormodes midway along the side and Catasetum at the base of the
p/bulb. I have no idea where Clowesia or Dressleria arise.

K Barrett