Old 27-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Kenni Judd

Default Flask and Compot Question

This is what we do -- your mileage may vary G.

We buy quart flasks estimated to contain 50+ seedlings. We break the bottle
with a hammer and slide the plantlets, agar and all, into 2 prepared compots
[usually 6" plastic pots] with our seedling mix, which is 50% OFE Seedling
Mix and 50% extrafine charcoal. Fill around the sides and put the compots
back out on the benches.

The compots grow on for anywhere from 6 to 18 months, a year is about
average, before we pot them out into 2" net pots, same mix.

If you bought a "hobby" flask, one of those little ones with 10-12 plants, a
4" compot should be ample, a 3" would probably be better. Unless they are
really _huge_, I wouldn't pot them out individually.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"Shell" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I broke down and bought a flask. It's supposed to have instructions

on
how to de-flask and all that when it gets here. Question I have is what
size should the compot be or can I put each seedling in its own 2 1/2 inch
pot? If they really need to be in the same pot how long are they left
there?

Shell