Old 27-11-2003, 12:22 PM
mel turner

Default scientific method

In article ,
[Iris Cohen] wrote...

I suspect Roadrunner might also have benefited from a better science
education. BRBR

Doubtless. The interesting thing is that my high school biology teacher and
lifelong hero, Dr. Brandwein, who drilled the scientific method and much other
wisdom into us, when we tried to peek behind the Final Curtain, said, "A
scientist must be religious." (Yes, I know he would not be allowed to say that
today. I hope the young people will get it somewhere.)

I suppose it depends on what he meant by "religious". Perhaps he was
just saying that he believed that a good scientist really ought to
have "religious" feelings of awe and reverence for the universe that
she or he studies. Certainly many great scientists, past and present,
haven't been at all "religious" in any conventional sense.

Nevetheless, the antievolutionists are of course wrong whenever
they try to argue that there is necessarily a conflict between
accepting the findings of science and having religious beliefs.

Despite frequent creationist claims that the science has all been
some sinister atheistic conspiracy, a great many "evolutionists"
will say they are devout members of the usual religions.

cheers