Old 25-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default scientific method

Please define the scientific method.

The scientific method involves the following steps: doing research, identifying
the problem, stating a hypothesis, conducting project experimentation, and
reaching a conclusion.

Oh, dear. Another American with a lousy high school science teacher?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

What is wrong with you Iris?

You just couldn't resist playing mother to the group again?

The question was asked to Roadrunner to answer not you.

Next time, you should make much more of an effort to restrain yourself and
let people answer the questions for themselves.

What you did makes Roadrunner look even more like an immature inarticulate
fool that is unable to speak for himself.

Is that what you wanted to do?

You should apply the scientific method so that you can see the error of your
ways.

Old 26-11-2003, 01:32 AM
rjb

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
What is wrong with you Iris?

You just couldn't resist playing mother to the group again?

The question was asked to Roadrunner to answer not you.

Next time, you should make much more of an effort to restrain yourself and
let people answer the questions for themselves.

What you did makes Roadrunner look even more like an immature inarticulate
fool that is unable to speak for himself.

Is that what you wanted to do?

You should apply the scientific method so that you can see the error of

your
ways.

Ha Ha! Actually I think Roadrunner crossposted his idiocy from talk.origins
where he blathers his creationist garbage constantly. I doubt that he reads
sci.bio.botany and saw Iris's post.

Speaking of botany, I was curious as to whether mycology is considered a
subcategory of botany even though the fungi and plants are separate
kingdoms. Do university biology departments divide into zoo, bot and myc or
what? Or is it taught under microbiology even if fungi can be gigantic?
Rick

Old 26-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Iris Cohen

What is wrong with you Iris?
You just couldn't resist playing mother to the group again? BRBR

Once a Jewish mother, always a Jewish mother. I thought anybody could answer a
question, since it was posted to the group.
Old 26-11-2003, 10:42 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

rjb schreef
Ha Ha! Actually I think Roadrunner crossposted his idiocy from

talk.origins where he blathers his creationist garbage constantly. I doubt
that he reads sci.bio.botany and saw Iris's post.

+ + +
Well, as far as I am concerned he is a crossposter who lives in a killfile
+ + +

Speaking of botany, I was curious as to whether mycology is considered a
subcategory of botany even though the fungi and plants are separate
kingdoms. Do university biology departments divide into zoo, bot and myc

or what? Or is it taught under microbiology even if fungi can be gigantic?

+ + +
It appears university biology departments are divided into funded and
non-funded departments. Where mycology is funded it is usually treated as a
branch of botany. As far as nomenclature is concerned fungi are dealt with
under the ICBN.
PvR

Old 27-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Iris Cohen

I suspect Roadrunner might also have benefited from a better science
education. BRBR

Doubtless. The interesting thing is that my high school biology teacher and
lifelong hero, Dr. Brandwein, who drilled the scientific method and much other
wisdom into us, when we tried to peek behind the Final Curtain, said, "A
scientist must be religious." (Yes, I know he would not be allowed to say that
today. I hope the young people will get it somewhere.)
Old 27-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

I would much rather be a born again agnostic.

It is not wise to blindly follow any leader especially when they use
religion as their bait.

What religious zealots and autocratic dictators hate most is that the basic
principle behind the scientific method is to always question authority.

The problem is that in common parlance the term "authority" is usually
misused to mean some pompous fool with a Ph.D., a political leader hell bent
on starting a war, a boss misusing his position to make your job miserable
or some crazed cop trying to abuse the law for his own amusement.

mel turner wrote in message
In article ,

[Iris Cohen] wrote...

I suspect Roadrunner might also have benefited from a better science
education. BRBR

Doubtless. The interesting thing is that my high school biology teacher

and
lifelong hero, Dr. Brandwein, who drilled the scientific method and much

other
wisdom into us, when we tried to peek behind the Final Curtain, said, "A
scientist must be religious." (Yes, I know he would not be allowed to say

that
today. I hope the young people will get it somewhere.)

I suppose it depends on what he meant by "religious". Perhaps he was
just saying that he believed that a good scientist really ought to
have "religious" feelings of awe and reverence for the universe that
she or he studies. Certainly many great scientists, past and present,
haven't been at all "religious" in any conventional sense.

Nevetheless, the antievolutionists are of course wrong whenever
they try to argue that there is necessarily a conflict between
accepting the findings of science and having religious beliefs.

Despite frequent creationist claims that the science has all been
some sinister atheistic conspiracy, a great many "evolutionists"
will say they are devout members of the usual religions.

cheers

Old 28-11-2003, 10:49 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

mel turner schreef
I suppose it depends on what he meant by "religious". Perhaps he was
just saying that he believed that a good scientist really ought to
have "religious" feelings of awe and reverence for the universe that
she or he studies.

+ + +
By that light creationists are not religious. Interesting, since they don't
seem to be basing themselves on the Bible either.
PvR

SCIENTIFIC CREATIONISTS Jabriol Ponds 21 22-07-2004 07:35 PM
Scientific name for Watermelon Radish? Dilip Barman Plant Science 6 17-12-2003 01:04 PM
scientific method is a hoax? Roadrunner Plant Science 8 27-11-2003 01:22 PM
Do Theories Have to be Testable to be Scientific? Richard Alexander sci.agriculture 93 23-07-2003 06:02 AM
EM Technology critics? More scientific background? Andi B. sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:25 PM