Old 27-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Jim W

Default OT but please help a fellow gardener

Nick Wagg wrote:

Graham Dixon wrote:

I'm trying to download an update for my sygate personal firewall. When I get
to the download page, I just get a tiny square with three coloured shapes
(Square/triangle/circle) in the top left hand corner of an otherwise white
screen

This is a substitute image which is displayed when your browser can't
find (or work out) which image file it ought to display. One common
cause for this is where the image file name has a space in the middle
of it. It should be replaced by %20 to display reliably with all
browsers on all systems, but that has to be done by the site in which
case you should email them to let them know.

At first I thought it was a sygate ploy to make me buy the 'pay for' version
but the same thing happens when I try to download the google toolbar

Any suggestions?

You've not turned images off, have you?

Nick is correct it is an image that cannot be loaded for some reason
(its not there, its taking too long, the coding which tells the page
where it is is wrong etc etc..)

If other pages you view work fine it is a local (to that website)
problem and shouldn't affect browsing too much.

Good sites should display 'alt tags' on images.. Small textual labels
that show up when this happens and tell you what the graphics would be
if you could see them.. This enables you to keep on using the site even
without images.

Jim