Old 29-11-2003, 01:32 AM
David J Bockman

Default Clethra delavayi, Viburnum x carlcephalum & Dipelta floribunda

Mike! How goes the astounding garden?

Viburnum x carlcephalum grows 6 to 10' high with an equal spread. Habit is
somewhat open and loose (so says Dirr, may experiences are it can get to 12'
over time, and tighter in full sun.) Again Dirr recommends and I
wholeheartedly agree that Viburnum x carlcephalum 'Cayuga' is a great
cultivar alternative to this somewhat lumpy shrub. Regardless, it's tolerant
of widely varying pH but would appreciate MAWD-- moist, acidic, well-drained
soil and partial to full sun. If you get really baked in full sun then high
shade or dappled sunshine would be best, else the leaves will wilt and the
shrub will generally have a bedraggled look.The flower buds are distinctly
pink but open pure white.

I note you say you're in 9a-- all the books I've read indicate Viburnum x
carlcephalum is only good as warm as Zone 8...

Dave

"Mike Gilmore" wrote in
message ...
Hi,
Can anyone with actual growing experience provide some basic location info
for planting the above?
Have zone info. Have new potplant but wish to know if require mulching for
moisture prevention, wind/sun info, growth (height each year after initial
18 month settling). My soil is 5.5pH - 7pH. Heavy but nutritious,

drainage
is quite good, though at this time of year everything is wet
--
Regards
Mike Gilmore