Old 29-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Concrete pond cracks~ links, can you help?

Lab rat,

I'll leave suggestions for fixing the cracks in a concrete pond to the
experts, but as a gardener I'll address this issue:

You mention "a tree that has been eradicated about 8 months ago" -- I'm
not sure the tree was really killed off, as its root system seems to have a
mind of its own. Did you just cut down the tree? Depending on the species
of the tree, that might mean that the root system no longer has to support a
tree & leaves, but is free to spend its energy on expansion -- in this
case, into your pool (especially if concrete is sufficiently porous that
roots sense it as a source of water).

You might think about killing off the offending root system before -- or
at least concurrent with -- fixing the cracks in the pond. My feeling is
that the root system may continue to cause you problems otherwise.

BTW, that's a beautiful dog you have there!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"lab~rat :-)" wrote in message
My concrete pond has developed cracks from a tree that has been
eradicated about 8 months ago. I want to seal the cracks, but the
whole task seems overwhelming.

Check out the mess:

http://blueaxe.home.mindspring.com/pond.html

In the second photo you can see the biggest crack that has been
cleaned and cleared of root material (by my dog's head). The water
level sinks to this crack.

The third shot is a closeup of the crack to well above the waterline
(where the big hole is)

4th is a closeup shot of some small cracks that have developed above
the huge crack. you can see the small roots growing through like
thick hairs.

Fifth through last is the attached waterfall where stucco has spalled
off of the forming foam.

First, is there a sealing material that could fix the major crack?

How should I handle the small cracks with organic growth?

I assume the whole waterfall should be fixed prior to trying to
re-establish the pond. How would you recommend fixing the spalling
stucco, and what is it sealed with once it is fixed?

TIA
--
lab~rat :-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?