Old 30-11-2003, 03:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default Broken paph spike (sob)

I too know and shudder at this sound, and mourn with you. Do Paph's regrow
broken spikes like Phals do?

This spring one of my Phals had to be satisfied with two flowers alas, since
I accidientally broke its spike during watering, and then it retried again,
and then my husband accidentally rebroke the spike when moving it out of the
way in our kitchen, and it tried a third time, and I won't tell you what
happened the third time, but alas ... After it was done wit the two flowers
(gorgeous flowers that were at least 5 inches wide), I figured it deserved a
break (err, I mean a rest), so I cut down the spike all the way, however now
it has put out a new spike again, so hopefully the dreaded event won't
reoccur. We will try extra-hard with this one, this time.

"Bette Noir" wrote in message
. 204.17...
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in news:jB9yb.31014
:

I mourn with you......the "snap", the dreaded snap sound!

I'd leave it splinted, unless it's really ready to open. I mean, like
*really* ready.

Diana

Shudder. Yes, I heard that sound.

I'm no expert, but from what I remember from last year it isn't *really*
ready.