Old 30-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Rooted Cuttings [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

Good Day to All,

Michael,

whenever I repot my elms[usually Jan.2nd of the New Year.]
Whilst trimming of the old roots I end up with yards/metres of
roots.

I have planted[stuck], matchstick thin roots into simple,freely
draining soil mixes.Lengths can be matchstick long to whatever
you might imagine as being useful.

Simple insert the cutting[say matchstick length] into the soil.
Leave about 1/2 to 1"[say 1 cm to 2 cm's].The tops will develop
green growth in about 1 month to 6 weeks down here[Tropics].
Try it indoors with very bright[sunlight in winter in the UK???]
light or in late spring or early summer.

Their just roots and highly expendable when learning.
[Works with the English elm as well.]

You can expect with unlimited soil and warm weather trunks
expanding from matchstick to as much as almost wrist thickness.
With heights of 5' to 8'[ 152 to 244 cms].

Once you learn to do this,will you ever take the shopkeeper's
claims of xxx years to a Chinese elm seriously - chuckle.
You should have decent shapes in 5 years,but only age[after
10 years ] will give true presence.

Best of luck.
I learnt all I know about elms from roots.
Now I chuck out the yards/metres of roots yearly without guilt.

Oh and a little secret,some varieties of those elms grow,branch
and do better than others.
Ever wonder why the Chinese use Chopsai on the silvery trunked
types,with density gained by branch/branchlet disorder - ha ha ha.
Stay well.
Khaimraj Seepersad
in the West Indies/Caribbean.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas......
With pastelles,ham,sorrel and black cake,

"Whilst shepherds washed their socks by night
and hung them out to dry,
the angel of the Lord cam down and said,
Those socks are mine."