Old 30-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Rooted Cuttings [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

Good Day to All,

Michael,

whenever I repot my elms[usually Jan.2nd of the New Year.]
Whilst trimming of the old roots I end up with yards/metres of
roots.

I have planted[stuck], matchstick thin roots into simple,freely
draining soil mixes.Lengths can be matchstick long to whatever
you might imagine as being useful.

Simple insert the cutting[say matchstick length] into the soil.
Leave about 1/2 to 1"[say 1 cm to 2 cm's].The tops will develop
green growth in about 1 month to 6 weeks down here[Tropics].
Try it indoors with very bright[sunlight in winter in the UK???]
light or in late spring or early summer.

Their just roots and highly expendable when learning.
[Works with the English elm as well.]

You can expect with unlimited soil and warm weather trunks
expanding from matchstick to as much as almost wrist thickness.
With heights of 5' to 8'[ 152 to 244 cms].

Once you learn to do this,will you ever take the shopkeeper's
claims of xxx years to a Chinese elm seriously - chuckle.
You should have decent shapes in 5 years,but only age[after
10 years ] will give true presence.

Best of luck.
I learnt all I know about elms from roots.
Now I chuck out the yards/metres of roots yearly without guilt.

Oh and a little secret,some varieties of those elms grow,branch
and do better than others.
Ever wonder why the Chinese use Chopsai on the silvery trunked
types,with density gained by branch/branchlet disorder - ha ha ha.
Stay well.
Khaimraj Seepersad
in the West Indies/Caribbean.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas......
With pastelles,ham,sorrel and black cake,

"Whilst shepherds washed their socks by night
and hung them out to dry,
the angel of the Lord cam down and said,
Those socks are mine."

Old 30-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

Mike wrote:

Hi everyone. I have 2 or 3 bonsai but I have never had a Chinese elm before
and so decided to get one. The one I bought seems to be very healthy and was
purchased from a reparable bonsai nursery. Anyway what I need to know is
this an indoor or outdoor bonsai. I live in England and at the store it was
labelled as an indoor bonsai and was kept indoors but I would like to hear
your experiences with these trees. Also as I understand it supposed indoor
trees are best left outdoors in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

I'd vote for outdoors. I don't know what part of England you're in but I'll bet
it's milder than where I live in southern New York state, and I keep mine outdoors
all year.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Stevie Boy

[SNIP]
" Hi everyone. I have 2 or 3 bonsai but I have never had a Chinese elm
before
and so decided to get one.

what I need to know is this an indoor or outdoor bonsai. I live in England
and at the store it was
labelled as an indoor bonsai and was kept indoors

Here in England Chinese elms are always labelled indoor bonsai due to their
origins of sub tropical climes.
Temperatures in the UK are naturally less than what is found in southern
China. During winter particularly so.

Many are bought and nurtured as indoor bonsai. I suspect if you want to go
this way they will survive happily if kept in a bright lit window.

However if we continue to get summers like this years I'm sure they would
revel the outside life. Whether they are hardy enough to stand our chilly
sub 10C winters I dont know. There are many more experienced people here
than I to answer that.

Steve

Old 01-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Sean Hayes

I have a couple I keep outdoors all year (Bristol, UK), and they go through
the full dormancy cycle, I also have a couple I kept on the kitchen
windowsill (SE facing), which were equally happy but never went into
dormancy. This year I've put the 'indoor' ones outside for the winter to
give them a bit of a rest and they will probably stay out next year with the
others.

They are pretty tolerant plants, which is why they (sometimes) survive the
boat from Korea to neglected supermarket shelves. They will tend to put on
more growth and be generally happier outside because of the greater light
availability. But they will survive indoors if they get enough light and
water.

Sean.

[SNIP]

Old 01-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Robert Moore

I've grown these as garden trees and as bonsai (many years ago - alas
don't have any just now).
In SE Oz they grew well outdoors always, although never showing a complete
dormancy - rather sort of semi-deciduous. I would have thought light may
be a problem indoors though, because they never complained no matter how
much Oz sun they got, as long as there was a little water to compensate.
But they never flinched at the occasional frost either.
Now that I think about it I must start looking for one or two ;-)

Cheers

Rob in the Land of Oz
(mostly in the twilight zone these days)

I have a couple I keep outdoors all year (Bristol, UK), and they go
through the full dormancy cycle, I also have a couple I kept on the
kitchen windowsill (SE facing), which were equally happy but never went
into dormancy. This year I've put the 'indoor' ones outside for the
winter to give them a bit of a rest and they will probably stay out
next year with the others.

They are pretty tolerant plants, which is why they (sometimes) survive
the boat from Korea to neglected supermarket shelves. They will tend to
put on more growth and be generally happier outside because of the
greater light availability. But they will survive indoors if they get
enough light and water.

Sean.

[SNIP]

************************************************** ****************************** ++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas Godoy ++++
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 01-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike

Thanks everyone for all the information. I decided i will do what somone
said and take some cuttings grow some and leave them outside. If they
survive then outside then i will put the others there. Thanks again everyone
for the advice.