Old 30-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default your first ever orchid

Shell,

I have lots of seedlings, but recently I decided to keep those purchases to
a minimum, and save my money for plants that will give me somewhat more
immediate gratification. One of the reasons for the change is that so many
BS plants turn out to be just that: BS! Of course, it depends on the source,
and there are some (Ray, for example) in whom I place much more trust than
others.

Still, the younger the plant, the higher the attrition rate, despite
everyone's good intentions. And, worst of all, unless a plant is in bloom
when you get it, or has at least been previously bloomed, there's no
guarantee that it won't sit there like a salad and never bloom at all.

Mix it up between blooming and smaller, and you'll be happier, I think.
After all, we grow these suckers for the flowers, not the foliage!

Diana