Old 30-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Stevie Boy

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

[SNIP]
" Hi everyone. I have 2 or 3 bonsai but I have never had a Chinese elm
before
and so decided to get one.

what I need to know is this an indoor or outdoor bonsai. I live in England
and at the store it was
labelled as an indoor bonsai and was kept indoors

Here in England Chinese elms are always labelled indoor bonsai due to their
origins of sub tropical climes.
Temperatures in the UK are naturally less than what is found in southern
China. During winter particularly so.

Many are bought and nurtured as indoor bonsai. I suspect if you want to go
this way they will survive happily if kept in a bright lit window.

However if we continue to get summers like this years I'm sure they would
revel the outside life. Whether they are hardy enough to stand our chilly
sub 10C winters I dont know. There are many more experienced people here
than I to answer that.

Steve