Old 01-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Robert Moore

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

I've grown these as garden trees and as bonsai (many years ago - alas
don't have any just now).
In SE Oz they grew well outdoors always, although never showing a complete
dormancy - rather sort of semi-deciduous. I would have thought light may
be a problem indoors though, because they never complained no matter how
much Oz sun they got, as long as there was a little water to compensate.
But they never flinched at the occasional frost either.
Now that I think about it I must start looking for one or two ;-)

Cheers

Rob in the Land of Oz
(mostly in the twilight zone these days)

I have a couple I keep outdoors all year (Bristol, UK), and they go
through the full dormancy cycle, I also have a couple I kept on the
kitchen windowsill (SE facing), which were equally happy but never went
into dormancy. This year I've put the 'indoor' ones outside for the
winter to give them a bit of a rest and they will probably stay out
next year with the others.

They are pretty tolerant plants, which is why they (sometimes) survive
the boat from Korea to neglected supermarket shelves. They will tend to
put on more growth and be generally happier outside because of the
greater light availability. But they will survive indoors if they get
enough light and water.

Sean.

"Stevie Boy" wrote in message
[SNIP]
" Hi everyone. I have 2 or 3 bonsai but I have never had a Chinese
elm before
and so decided to get one.

what I need to know is this an indoor or outdoor bonsai. I live in
England and at the store it was
labelled as an indoor bonsai and was kept indoors

Here in England Chinese elms are always labelled indoor bonsai due to

their
origins of sub tropical climes.
Temperatures in the UK are naturally less than what is found in
southern China. During winter particularly so.

Many are bought and nurtured as indoor bonsai. I suspect if you want
to go this way they will survive happily if kept in a bright lit
window.

However if we continue to get summers like this years I'm sure they
would revel the outside life. Whether they are hardy enough to stand
our chilly sub 10C winters I dont know. There are many more
experienced people here than I to answer that.

Steve

--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++