Old 01-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Default winter temps

I can't speak to the Spath., we don't do much with any terrestrials [I find
epiphytes much easier to grow, although I can manage Phaius tankervilliae].

For the Den: this is a huge tribe, some much more cold-tolerant that
others. Even if yours is one of the warmth-loving evergreens, however, a
couple hours at 46F shouldn't do any major harm. At worst, you might lose a
few more leaves on older growths than you otherwise might've [or some
developing buds, if the plant is trying to flower].

For future, tho, I would suggest something other than plastic as a cover, if
you can't bring it in: a beach towel, a lightweight blanket, an old XL
t-shirt ...something that breathes a little. If we should get a real freeze
[yes, it does happen here], then you need to either find a big friend to
haul the plant in [and back out] for you or take additional measures --
e.g., a small string of the tiny outdoor Xmas lights around the pot, under
but not touching the covering ...

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"agnatha3141" wrote in message
s.com...
can i leave a spathoglottis and a dendrobium outside during a winter
temp of 46F? i put a large garbage bag over the dendrobium, and brought
the rest in. but the spath is planted and the dendrobium is awfully
big........this is south florida, i didnt expect this. arghhhhh.
--
agnatha3141