Old 01-12-2003, 09:02 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] bonsai wood carving gloves

Folks,
I was at our local "Safety Store" the other day and got some great #5 welding gogles for looking at kiln firing cones ( finally I can see them) .
While I was there I got looking at Kevlar and other gloves for carving protection. That left hand is always vulnerable while power wood carving and has been knicked in more than one instance. The owner recommended the stainless steel thread gloves ( reeee
eally fine wire covered with synthetic yarn) over the Kevlar and says most butchers and wood carvers around here use them. Dexterity was pretty darn good. Sold as ambidextrous single gloves about $8.95.
I got one.
I also bought a pair of Kevlar to try. They are much cheaper at about $4.00 for a PAIR ( even though both gloves are ambidextrous), thinner and even better dexterity. You can get the Kevlar with or without the tiny neoprene (?) "sticky dots" all over them
which come on a coarser weaved glove.. Although they grip like an octopus I think they lose some dexterity.
I seem to remember seeing Ernie using some Kevlar gloves somewhere. If so, How do you like them Ernie?
I was bothered by a safety note on the stainless steel cloth gloves warning against using with "Moving or toothed cutters".....
Oh Heck! They weren't talking to me! :)
I rationalized that the cutters I use aren't really "Toothed" so would probably not snag on them or the Kevlar knit.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++