Old 01-12-2003, 09:42 PM
tbell

Default Staking Orchids

Most of us have unwrapped any number of electronic devices, and I like
to recycle the plastic coated flexible ties that are used to secure power
cords. Usually either black or white, they are thin, neat, moisture proof,
and tolerate repeated flexing without breaking or tearing.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

From: Susan Erickson
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:38:14 -0700
Subject: Staking Orchids

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:35:23 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

What does everyone use to stake orchids? I've seen the little clips, twist
ties, string, and the wire loop kind, which is best?

Shell

At home the best is a single strand of wire from a telephone
wire. It is plastic covered and fairly thin. It is flexible.
If I am going to remove it as soon as the plant is stable or
attached to a piece of bark, I don't mind if it is orange and
white candy cane stripe. If I want it to support an extra tall
inflorescence I will usually dig out the green one and tie it to
the plant hanger. Otherwise I just use the plain wire support
that has a hook on one end. If I trim the hanger on a basket for
the porch, I save the wire clippings and make small stakes for
the mini catts. I am utility over cute until I need it in a
show. Then it is invisible if possible.

SuE