Old 02-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] bonsai wood carving gloves

Friends:

I am not an advocate of wearing gloves while using high-speed carving tools.
Even if the cutter does not have teeth, the exceedingly high spinning
attachments can easily connect with a glove and draw your hand or fingers into the
cutting/spinning mechanism. The result can be quite painful and damaging.

Beyond the potential for injury that results from wearing gloves, I find that
I simply lose the connection between myself and the tree. I need to feel the
action of the carving tool to create the desired effect. Gloves seem to
construct a barrier for me in this sense.

Regardless, gloves will not eliminate the potential for injury. My
recommendation is that you ALWAYS use a power pedal to control the speed of the tool.
If something happens, one can readily stop the power tool. You will find that
virtually all power tools will work via a universal power pedal. Such a pedal
can be ordered from Dale and numerous manufacturers.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++