Old 02-12-2003, 04:12 AM
Homefinders

Default The moths, the moths

Pete,
Are you in the ACT or therabouts? 'Tis the season for the Bogong moth to
migrate to the Bogong moutains and I've been hearing reports of the new
Parliament house being inundated by them.

Judanne
"pete" wrote in message
I know there is a reason for everything in nature but....
We are getting inundated with moths at the moment, not exactly a plague

but
there are possibly 100 or so each day that we have to either catch and let
go or have been through the fan in the ducted air con and get blown around
all over the place.

They are about 1 inch long and seem almost as active in the day as they do
at dusk, and they seem to want to fly to the windows to get out but (and I
ask them all this same question) why did they come in in the first place

if
all they want to do is get out?

I've evicted about 80 or so today in 3 separate episodes and even now one

is
buzzing around in my pooter room ... they don't seem to be attracted to
light like other moths... well not especially attracted to light, this one
is now sitting alongside my monitor probably reading this ....

We seem to get some years when there is an over abundance of a certain
species of animal here... sometimes spiders or lizards, usually

(eventually)
we get a balance of species which feed on them. I don't see anything

eating
these... our resident huntsman spider (Horace) has had a few but he/she
can't cope with all these.

There's just no end to the little bas..er...blighters.

There was quite a large fire nearby today and all I could think about was

wonder how many moths it got rid of .....

Pete .... and Molly (the moth)

---