Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
ted kell

Default [IBC] bonsai wood carving gloves

As a "sometimes" wood butcher, I have been saved on numerous occasions by
these kind of things. The stainless steel/kevlar yarn works very nicely
as long as you do not put the point of your knife or small gouge through the
weave. One small tip tho, These gloves are also sold in fishing gear shops
as fish cleaning gloves. there was a substantial difference in the price
at the time.

Ted the plant killer

In article 026301c3b84b$eabfc440$0430fea9@dalespc,
dalecochoy wrote:
Folks,
I was at our local "Safety Store" the other day and got some great #5
welding gogles for looking at kiln firing cones ( finally I can see
them) .
While I was there I got looking at Kevlar and other gloves for carving
protection. That left hand is always vulnerable while power wood carving
and has been knicked in more than one instance. The owner recommended
the stainless steel thread gloves ( reeeeeally fine wire covered with
synthetic yarn) over the Kevlar and says most butchers and wood carvers
around here use them. Dexterity was pretty darn good. Sold as
ambidextrous single gloves about $8.95.
I got one.
I also bought a pair of Kevlar to try. They are much cheaper at about
$4.00 for a PAIR ( even though both gloves are ambidextrous), thinner
and even better dexterity. You can get the Kevlar with or without the
tiny neoprene (?) "sticky dots" all over them which come on a coarser
weaved glove.. Although they grip like an octopus I think they lose some
dexterity.
I seem to remember seeing Ernie using some Kevlar gloves somewhere. If
so, How do you like them Ernie?
I was bothered by a safety note on the stainless steel cloth gloves
warning against using with "Moving or toothed cutters".....
Oh Heck! They weren't talking to me! :)
I rationalized that the cutters I use aren't really "Toothed" so would
probably not snag on them or the Kevlar knit.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++