Old 05-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Dave Sheehy

Default Millipedes nightmare

J. Del Col ) wrote:
: "GrlIntrpted" wrote in message t...
: I'm having a millipede problem. Primarily in my paphs. I recently noticed
: that the new leaves and new fans simply stopped in their tracks. It started
: with the St. Swithin, which was finally growing a new leaf. Then the Paph
: Pinocchio, and at least 8 more paphs (I'm too lazy to got get the tags).
: When I started digging into the mix (which is fairly fresh as I repotted
: them all in the late spring of 2003) I noticed a millipede lazin' about! I
: crushed it and instantaneously (in quite a panic as I know they feed on
: roots when food supplies are short)...

: Was it a millipede or a pillbug?

: Millipedes are predators, AFAIK

I believe you are thinking of centipedes. AFAIK, and I could be mistaken,
millipedes are scavengers. I am very certain that the tropical millipedes
that you buy in pet stores are scavengers.

Dave