Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Millipedes nightmare

I'm having a millipede problem. Primarily in my paphs. I recently noticed
that the new leaves and new fans simply stopped in their tracks. It started
with the St. Swithin, which was finally growing a new leaf. Then the Paph
Pinocchio, and at least 8 more paphs (I'm too lazy to got get the tags).
When I started digging into the mix (which is fairly fresh as I repotted
them all in the late spring of 2003) I noticed a millipede lazin' about! I
crushed it and instantaneously (in quite a panic as I know they feed on
roots when food supplies are short) rushed to the kitchen sink where I
removed the Paph from the media (there were two more in there). The roots
looked healthy and some new growing tips were showing. I washed the roots
under running water and repotted it in fresh orchid mix (Osmunda, sphag
moss, ordinary orchid mix). Likewise for the rest of them. The leaves
haven't turned color on any of them (yet).

Because I'm so limited on space, I grow the orchids in several areas
throughout the house. They are very close to each other and I'm thinking
that there is a chance of the millipedes crawling from one pot to another.
In short there are over 300 pots and I'm wondering if I should repot all of
them (which should take me forever ). Or is there another way to get them
out (if they are there).

The only orchids that I grow in the outdoors (when weather permits) are
Dracula, Masdevallia, some Dendrobiums (on mounts and corks only), and
several Paphs. They never touch the ground and in fact are sitting on
shelves that do not come in contact with soil. How on earth did these
horrid things find their way into the orchid mix inside the house?

What would you do, were you in my situation?

Help is much appreciated,

Mariana

email me direct at: grdengrl at optonline dot net

In a very frozen NYC!

Old 04-12-2003, 03:12 PM
J. Del Col

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message t...
I'm having a millipede problem. Primarily in my paphs. I recently noticed
that the new leaves and new fans simply stopped in their tracks. It started
with the St. Swithin, which was finally growing a new leaf. Then the Paph
Pinocchio, and at least 8 more paphs (I'm too lazy to got get the tags).
When I started digging into the mix (which is fairly fresh as I repotted
them all in the late spring of 2003) I noticed a millipede lazin' about! I
crushed it and instantaneously (in quite a panic as I know they feed on
roots when food supplies are short)...

Was it a millipede or a pillbug?

Millipedes are predators, AFAIK

J. Del Col
Old 04-12-2003, 08:13 PM
GrlIntrpted

It is millpedes. Though predators, they are considered beneficial in
horticulture. But, it appears that I'm fairly unique in my experience as
not a single soul is offering any advice .

Mariana

m...

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mariana,

Don't weep, girl! Down here in FL the ugly worms are common, but I rarely
have seen them around my plants. Only twice, when repotting from old bark
(these were plants I acquired in bark; I prefer not to use it, myself).
While the roots were bare I sprayed the plants with alcohol and soap, and
never saw them around the pots again.

You mention that you grow in several locations around the house. If the
beasts were found only in one location, maybe repotting the ones near it
would be enough.

For me, growing outside, if it were a big problem I'd look for a systemic
labeled for the critters, but inside - golly. I think I'd be on the phone to
the nearest orchid nursery and/or the county Ag station.

GL

Diana

Old 05-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Dave Sheehy

J. Del Col ) wrote:
: "GrlIntrpted" wrote in message t...
: I'm having a millipede problem. Primarily in my paphs. I recently noticed
: that the new leaves and new fans simply stopped in their tracks. It started
: with the St. Swithin, which was finally growing a new leaf. Then the Paph
: Pinocchio, and at least 8 more paphs (I'm too lazy to got get the tags).
: When I started digging into the mix (which is fairly fresh as I repotted
: them all in the late spring of 2003) I noticed a millipede lazin' about! I
: crushed it and instantaneously (in quite a panic as I know they feed on
: roots when food supplies are short)...

: Was it a millipede or a pillbug?

: Millipedes are predators, AFAIK

I believe you are thinking of centipedes. AFAIK, and I could be mistaken,
millipedes are scavengers. I am very certain that the tropical millipedes
that you buy in pet stores are scavengers.

Dave

Old 06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:00:36 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

I'm having a millipede problem.

Are you sure they're not symphilids? Here's a link:
http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits...UR/6scuimm.htm

Sunset Western Garden Book (1976 edition) recommends: Diazinon.

Bush snails (was: Millipedes -- new orchids) Eric Hunt Orchids 18 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
Millipedes -- new orchids Steve Orchids 1 15-07-2003 05:33 AM
Millipedes Surfs Up Gardening 3 17-05-2003 02:44 AM
millipedes all over the place! Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Millipedes Sue Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM