Old 05-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Freaky citrus

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Earlier this year I bought at Ikea a Citrus Mitis (Calamondin Orange)
with lots of beautifully scented flowers.
It has now set friut; about the size of a cherry tomato and very
bitter, but quite attractive.
HOWEVER, it is obviously grafted, as at the point of the graft is what
appears to be a reasonable sized lemon. There are no leaves at the
graft point, only the green lemon on a short stem.
I don't know whether to leave it as it is, or to cut off the lemon, or
possibly if leaves do appear by the lemon to cut the top off and keep
it for lemons.

I'd leave it as it is. It can't do any harm. The pips might grow into
something quite interesting.

Did anyone else get one at Ikea or has had one from elsewhere? At
what point do I scrap the fruit if I decide to keep it as it is
intended, in order to get flowers again?

When they're ripe. Just try to stop it flowering......

The oranges might make a good wine. Worth a try.

What sort of quality of lemon is used as the stock for the graft?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Pass.

However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)