Old 05-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Allergic to Orchids?

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I am allergic to cymbidiums. I got rid of every single one that I had. My
skin literally breaks into enormous boils that last for about a week. I
react the same way to shell fish, and strawberries.

Yep, that is what the first report I read said about cymbidiums.
Evidently there is some sort of phenolic compound in them that induces
the reaction. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. My mother
always said she was allergic to weeding the garden. I think that was an
excuse to get me to do it, but who knows.

I'm not allergic (yet!) but I do experience the wallet vacuuming
reaction to orchids. Perhaps there is some sort of pill I can take to
reduce that... *grin*

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit