Old 05-12-2003, 05:33 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Holy Sprouting Onions, Batman!

In article , "Sue"
writes:

I start from seed in February, transplant the grassy sprouts in early may,
harvest onions in September.

I have tried "sets" as in the tiny bulbs but have better yield starting from
seed.

Fleemos comment that he had sprouting onions ontop of his fridge meant to
me that it was a full size onion, not a "set".

Sue

Yes Sue that's right
There are 3 ways to grow onions:
seeds
plants
sets (immature bulbs)
I usually skip the seeds and buy bunches of the small plants
at the nursery in Feb. and have onions by sometime in June.

Walla Wallas Yum!

Fleemo go ahead and plant the sprouted mature onion.
You will get an interesting flower, or at the least, add some
OM to your soil.
Emilie
NorCal