Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Allergic to Orchids?

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
GrlIntrpted wrote:

I am allergic to cymbidiums. I got rid of every single one that I had.

My
skin literally breaks into enormous boils that last for about a week. I
react the same way to shell fish, and strawberries.

Yep, that is what the first report I read said about cymbidiums.
Evidently there is some sort of phenolic compound in them that induces
the reaction. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. My mother
always said she was allergic to weeding the garden. I think that was an
excuse to get me to do it, but who knows.

I'm not allergic (yet!) but I do experience the wallet vacuuming
reaction to orchids. Perhaps there is some sort of pill I can take to
reduce that... *grin*

I remember one particular Cymbidium that I got from HomeDepot. The name tag
of the plant had a warning about the leaves of the cymbidium that might be
a skin irritant.

Mariana