Old 07-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Shiva

Default Thin stems

Richard Oliver wrote:

So pleased to have found this group!!!!!!!

Welcome! It's been quiet lately, but it usually is during the winter holidays.

Could someone please tell me what causes thin stems which do not support
the flowers ? Thanks, Richard

1. Youth

2. Heredity

3. Larger-than-average blooms

My first rose, a hybrid tea called Lagerfeld, was the
worst I had seen. It got a little better with age (you
should give any rose at least three years of good
cultivation before you toss it) but still has delicate
stems.

Many David Austin roses, because they are bred to have huge,
many-petaled blooms, also tend to "nod."

Want to ell us where you are, what you like in a rose, and
what you are growing now? Someone might have some
suggestions for you.

I don't think there are any nutrients that strengthen
stems. Nitrogen is the main ingredient in any rose
chow, it is for the green parts, but can be overdone
at the expense of the blooms, I think.

If I am wrong I believe someone will point it out.