Old 07-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Sacha

Default Bees

John Rouse7/12/03 4:52

In article , Sacha
writes

I'm going back a lonnnnnnnng time and I haven't kept up, so forgive me.
Wasn't there some talk/experiment/hope etc. of breeding a rather more
ferocious strain of varroa resistant bees with our native bees to produce
the best of both worlds? Did that come to anything?

I think the best hope at the moment is a fungus that attacks the varroa
mite. I think the Africanised American Bees and the Brother Adam
experiments rather put people off importing foreign strains.

John

IIRC, the experiments were American? A fungus?!
I do remember being in an email discussion with some American bee keepers
who move their hives around all over the place - hundreds of miles, in some
cases. Some were adamant that they would not use e.g. Apistan but equally,
seemed unconcerned, or unconvinced, that they were transmitting disease
while going about their work.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)