Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 PM
John Rouse

Default Bees

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

Is there an effective treatment for the veroa (Sp?) mite yet?

There was, but resistant mites have appeared in the south-west. Thymol
seems to be the only answer at the moment, though good husbandry helps.

John
--
John Rouse
Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 PM
John Rouse

In article , Sacha
writes
I think that I have seldom read a nastier post about someone to whom an
entire hobby and industry owed so much. "Old, withered old stick, accented
speech, hardly audible, set in his ways"

There are many beekeepers who think the work of Bro Adam diluted the
native bee strains, and may have introduced unwanted traits into the
gene pool. Luckily there are a few clusters of native bees in the more
remote areas, and these are now being bred and distributed.

I'm sure his intentions were good, but the end result wasn't.

John
--
John Rouse

Old 06-12-2003, 08:42 PM
martin

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:27:51 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:21:51 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

For some reason I didn't see either attempts.

I refer the honorrible gentleman to my earlier statement.

I refer the honorrible post person to my earlier statement.

How about taking your own advice then? Or would consistency be too much
to expect?

From you? Far too much to expect.
--
Martin
Old 07-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from John Rouse contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

Is there an effective treatment for the veroa (Sp?) mite yet?

There was, but resistant mites have appeared in the south-west. Thymol
seems to be the only answer at the moment, though good husbandry helps.

Isn't that always the way? Still, medicine has been given a shot in the
arm with the recent discovery of RNA interference, and that might well
hit the pests before it is licensed for human use.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Sacha

John Rouse6/12/03 5:18

In article , Sacha
writes
I think that I have seldom read a nastier post about someone to whom an
entire hobby and industry owed so much. "Old, withered old stick, accented
speech, hardly audible, set in his ways"

There are many beekeepers who think the work of Bro Adam diluted the
native bee strains, and may have introduced unwanted traits into the
gene pool. Luckily there are a few clusters of native bees in the more
remote areas, and these are now being bred and distributed.

I'm sure his intentions were good, but the end result wasn't.

John

In all arts and sciences, there will be good and bad experiments and results
which cannot be predicted. Bee keeping falls into that category, I think.
When bumble bees were introduced into the glasshouses of Jersey years ago,
we were *assured* that the then varroa free island would not be affected.
Well.......I won't bore you with the details! Safe to say, the discussion is
still rumbling on.
The use of Apistan then became mandatory in the island but at least one bee
keeper I know of, refused to use it on the grounds that he wished to remain
organic. As a consequence but not of course, just down to him - varroa
spread throughout the island's colonies.
While it would have been acceptable to criticise Bro. Adam on the grounds
you have used and so very politely, I do NOT think it can ever be acceptable
to criticise someone citing their continued 'use' of their native accent, or
their age ('withered old stick') I do not recall that Mary actually
discussed Bro. Adam's methods in your terms; her attack on him centred on
the man, not the beekeeper with a short 'good' word thrown in as an apparent
afterthought.
I kept one colony of bees for over 20 years and it was a nucleus that came
from my father in law who had them for at least that long again. I met many
people who talked of Brother Adam but I never met anyone who talked of Mary
Fisher, let alone as she did, of that 'withered old stick' who had retained
his native accent. Had they done so, I would have been as quick to
castigate them for spite towards her, as I have been to kill file her ego.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 07-12-2003, 05:33 PM
John Rouse

In article , Sacha
writes

I'm going back a lonnnnnnnng time and I haven't kept up, so forgive me.
Wasn't there some talk/experiment/hope etc. of breeding a rather more
ferocious strain of varroa resistant bees with our native bees to produce
the best of both worlds? Did that come to anything?

I think the best hope at the moment is a fungus that attacks the varroa
mite. I think the Africanised American Bees and the Brother Adam
experiments rather put people off importing foreign strains.

John
--
John Rouse