Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
FF

Default Rosemary 'Severn Seas'

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:26:50 +0000, Sacha wrote:

ER7/12/03 4:57

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:43:47 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I would love to know if anyone is growing this
Rosemary and if so, how they have found it to be during winter? I don't
expect many replies from the shivering North, I must admit. ;-)

I don't know what sort we've got, it came from B&Q most probably. The biggest
plant
has been outside 4 or 5 years (south west) and, though the roofers had a
pretty good
try this spring, nothing has stopped it flourishing yet. I've snipped bits off
(taking cuttings would be too grand a term for it), dipped the end in some
ages-old
rooting compound, and potted it up. The second bush, planted a year or so ago
is also
flourishing. I've got younger cuttings coming along and so has half the street
now.

So far this winter, daylight temps have dropped to -3 and below about 4 times.

Thanks, Liz. Many Rosemaries will take quite low winter temps if they're
well-drained, especially. This particular one R. 'Severn Seas' is fairly
tender but it also grows in a most particular and fascinating way. It
doesn't attach itself to a wall as it grows *down* it but it looks as if it
does! It flattens itself tight against it and, at our friends' house in
Salcombe, comes down a wall, positively cements itself to a path and goes
down another wall. Not so much prostrate as grovelling, really. ;-)

Wow! That sounds pretty:-) Might look nice at my mother's house thinks bubble
I really should have read the Subject line, shouldn't I? :-( Oops!
We're in the south west, too - in the South Hams and although it's been cold
and wet, I don't think we've had it as cold as that yet.

I'm going by a time/temp display on a warehouse in Warmley that I pass at about 7:40
each morning. And by the ice I've had to hack off the windscreen to get that far:-)

Liz
FF