Old 05-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Sacha

Default Rosemary 'Severn Seas'

Just out of curiosity, I would love to know if anyone is growing this
Rosemary and if so, how they have found it to be during winter? I don't
expect many replies from the shivering North, I must admit. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Just out of curiosity, I would love to know if anyone is growing this
Rosemary and if so, how they have found it to be during winter? I don't
expect many replies from the shivering North, I must admit. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

I have had it outside the last 4 winters, but have put on the edge of a low
raised bed and not too hemmed in to guard against the wet, lowest temp to
date -4c

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Sacha

Charlie Pridham6/12/03 8:58

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Just out of curiosity, I would love to know if anyone is growing this
Rosemary and if so, how they have found it to be during winter? I don't
expect many replies from the shivering North, I must admit. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

I have had it outside the last 4 winters, but have put on the edge of a low
raised bed and not too hemmed in to guard against the wet, lowest temp to
date -4c

Thanks, Charlie. We're going to try it in a similar situation this winter
but last year we went down to -5, so can only hope it survives. We're also
going to order and try out a Rosemary called Mont Blanc (IIRC) which we saw
at Olivier Filippi's nursery at Meze in France. It has snow white flowers
and I'm longing to give it a go. However, as he's best known for growing
and trialing totally drought resistant plants, I don't know how it will do
here!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-12-2003, 05:02 PM
ER

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:43:47 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I would love to know if anyone is growing this
Rosemary and if so, how they have found it to be during winter? I don't
expect many replies from the shivering North, I must admit. ;-)

I don't know what sort we've got, it came from B&Q most probably. The biggest plant
has been outside 4 or 5 years (south west) and, though the roofers had a pretty good
try this spring, nothing has stopped it flourishing yet. I've snipped bits off
(taking cuttings would be too grand a term for it), dipped the end in some ages-old
rooting compound, and potted it up. The second bush, planted a year or so ago is also
flourishing. I've got younger cuttings coming along and so has half the street now.

So far this winter, daylight temps have dropped to -3 and below about 4 times.

hth

Liz
FF
Old 07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Sacha

ER7/12/03 4:57

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Liz. Many Rosemaries will take quite low winter temps if they're
well-drained, especially. This particular one R. 'Severn Seas' is fairly
tender but it also grows in a most particular and fascinating way. It
doesn't attach itself to a wall as it grows *down* it but it looks as if it
does! It flattens itself tight against it and, at our friends' house in
Salcombe, comes down a wall, positively cements itself to a path and goes
down another wall. Not so much prostrate as grovelling, really. ;-)
We're in the south west, too - in the South Hams and although it's been cold
and wet, I don't think we've had it as cold as that yet.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
FF

ER7/12/03 4:57

wrote:

[...]

Wow! That sounds pretty:-) Might look nice at my mother's house thinks bubble
I really should have read the Subject line, shouldn't I? :-( Oops!
We're in the south west, too - in the South Hams and although it's been cold
and wet, I don't think we've had it as cold as that yet.

I'm going by a time/temp display on a warehouse in Warmley that I pass at about 7:40
each morning. And by the ice I've had to hack off the windscreen to get that far:-)

Liz
FF

Old 09-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
:

Thanks, Liz. Many Rosemaries will take quite low winter temps if
they're well-drained, especially. This particular one R. 'Severn
Seas' is fairly tender but it also grows in a most particular and
fascinating way. It doesn't attach itself to a wall as it grows
*down* it but it looks as if it does! It flattens itself tight
against it and, at our friends' house in Salcombe, comes down a wall,
positively cements itself to a path and goes down another wall. Not
so much prostrate as grovelling, really. ;-)

Have you tried 'Blue Rain'?

It has a pretty good prostrate habit, and it is hardier than 'Severn Seas',
though it's a bit of a tiddler - I have a couple in pots, and they have
just wrapped their branches down and around the pots, and not much further
in the 3 years I've had them.

Good long flowering season too.

Victoria