Old 08-12-2003, 01:03 AM
JimO

Default Iron Fertilizer Break Down Time

Eh dont listen to Frank, iron in the fertilizer does decay (and no we arent
talking about radioactive decay) and breakdown into iron oxide when hit with
water. I think he read ALOT more into your question that what you asked.

Yes, some fertilizers contain Iron, as well as some Gypsum products.

If this iron in the fertilizer hits concrete and water it will leave a rust
stain.

Water and air and blah blah blah oxidozes the iron and turns it to iron
oxide we like to call this rust.

How long it takes for the Iron in the mix to breakdown into iron oxide
probably depends on the size of the iron in the fertilizer. I've seen some
with fairly large pellets and some with what looks like shavings.

But from my experience it breaks down fairly quickly. If you water it
pretty good, you should notice it rather quickly. After a week you shouldnt
have a problem of staining if some stray soil happens to jump on your
concrete by accident.

Anyone know exactly how long this breakdown takes before your soil becaomes
concrete stain safe? I'm sure there are some sort of guidelines just have
no idea where to find them.

"OneHotBtch4U32" wrote in message
Is anyone familiar with the amount of time it takes the iron in most
fertilizers to breakdown to a point where getting some of the soil on
concrete no longer poses a rust problem?

What I'm working with it about 2% iron, and it has been watered thoroughly
and deep.

Thanks