Old 07-12-2003, 05:02 PM
OneHotBtch4U32

Default Iron Fertilizer Break Down Time

Is anyone familiar with the amount of time it takes the iron in most
fertilizers to breakdown to a point where getting some of the soil on
concrete no longer poses a rust problem?

What I'm working with it about 2% iron, and it has been watered thoroughly
and deep.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Steve

I'm curious about this one also, if you find an answer out there post it
here for me. Much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Frank Miles

In article U%IAb.9552$5g.2817@okepread04,
OneHotBtch4U32 wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the amount of time it takes the iron in most
fertilizers to breakdown to a point where getting some of the soil on
concrete no longer poses a rust problem?

What I'm working with it about 2% iron, and it has been watered thoroughly
and deep.

Huh? What exactly are you talking about?

Short of proton decay, or other form of nuclear destruction, as an
_element_ (not a compound) iron does not decay. Depending on soil type,
watering, etc., you might flush it out of your area, but it will only go
somewhere else.

What is this "rust problem"? Are you trying to prevent or avoid corrosion?

Please clarify your question.

-frank
Old 08-12-2003, 01:03 AM
JimO

Eh dont listen to Frank, iron in the fertilizer does decay (and no we arent
talking about radioactive decay) and breakdown into iron oxide when hit with
water. I think he read ALOT more into your question that what you asked.

Yes, some fertilizers contain Iron, as well as some Gypsum products.

If this iron in the fertilizer hits concrete and water it will leave a rust
stain.

Water and air and blah blah blah oxidozes the iron and turns it to iron
oxide we like to call this rust.

How long it takes for the Iron in the mix to breakdown into iron oxide
probably depends on the size of the iron in the fertilizer. I've seen some
with fairly large pellets and some with what looks like shavings.

But from my experience it breaks down fairly quickly. If you water it
pretty good, you should notice it rather quickly. After a week you shouldnt
have a problem of staining if some stray soil happens to jump on your
concrete by accident.

Anyone know exactly how long this breakdown takes before your soil becaomes
concrete stain safe? I'm sure there are some sort of guidelines just have
no idea where to find them.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Frank Miles

In article i3QAb.10816$5g.7265@okepread04, JimO wrote:
Eh dont listen to Frank, iron in the fertilizer does decay (and no we arent
talking about radioactive decay) and breakdown into iron oxide when hit with
water. I think he read ALOT more into your question that what you asked.

Ok, perhaps some of my query was a tiny bit over the edge, but in the end
all I was asking for was clarification.

Yes, some fertilizers contain Iron, as well as some Gypsum products.

If this iron in the fertilizer hits concrete and water it will leave a rust
stain.

Water and air and blah blah blah oxidozes the iron and turns it to iron
oxide we like to call this rust.

How long it takes for the Iron in the mix to breakdown into iron oxide
probably depends on the size of the iron in the fertilizer. I've seen some
with fairly large pellets and some with what looks like shavings.

If the fertilizer contained iron _compounds_, or if you're looking for
how soluable it may be -- that will depend on factors such as particle size,
pH, and a host of other factors.

One additional troublesome factor (especially if it's "chunky") is that
some iron-bearing fertilizers (particularly Ironite) also contain(ed)
dangerous levels of heavy metals. Some farmers have lost use of their
fields from this. You might want to google this one.

HTH...
-frank

Old 08-12-2003, 03:42 PM
JimO

Frank

I know I was just poking ya in the ribs. *smile*

Old 08-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

"OneHotBtch4U32" wrote in message news:U%IAb.9552$5g.2817@okepread04...
Is anyone familiar with the amount of time it takes the iron in most
fertilizers to breakdown to a point where getting some of the soil on
concrete no longer poses a rust problem?

What I'm working with it about 2% iron, and it has been watered thoroughly
and deep.

Thanks

Little rust try rubbing with lemon
Big rust buy some rust remover- plumbing supply might have it.