Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 AM
omi

Default Ironite

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from
Superfund sites?

Read all of the negative stuff about the lead and arsenic in Ironite on
the web (google using "Ironite + safe"), It was a hot issue here in AZ
about 10 years ago when they were allegedly bagging and selling the
tailings from a copper mine at Bagdad (Bagdad AZ) and are currently
processing the tailings from mines in the Dewey-Humboldt area.

To be fair, also read an official response from Ironite such as the one
at the U of A's archived arid_gardener Listserv at
http://ag.arizona.edu/hypermail/arid_gardener/1694.html
and decide for yourself.

Most gardeners here in AZ won't use it on vegetable gardens. Others,
like me, won't use it at all. The arsenic and lead probably would not
be taken up by the plants but could contaminate root vegetables.

Olin