Old 08-12-2003, 02:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Ironite

Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from
Superfund sites?
-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 08-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Rhaga Bhupal Shankar

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from
Superfund sites?

And someone told me that Tootsie Rolls are manufactured from turds taken
from Victoria.

http://www.freetibet.com

Old 08-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:
Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from
Superfund sites?

Pretty close. Try "mining tailings". See, for example:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/risk/ironite.htm

Or try googling [ironite heavy metal], for example.

-frank

Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 AM
omi

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Someone told me that Ironite is manufactured from soil taken from
Superfund sites?

Read all of the negative stuff about the lead and arsenic in Ironite on
the web (google using "Ironite + safe"), It was a hot issue here in AZ
about 10 years ago when they were allegedly bagging and selling the
tailings from a copper mine at Bagdad (Bagdad AZ) and are currently
processing the tailings from mines in the Dewey-Humboldt area.

To be fair, also read an official response from Ironite such as the one
at the U of A's archived arid_gardener Listserv at
http://ag.arizona.edu/hypermail/arid_gardener/1694.html
and decide for yourself.

Most gardeners here in AZ won't use it on vegetable gardens. Others,
like me, won't use it at all. The arsenic and lead probably would not
be taken up by the plants but could contaminate root vegetables.

Olin

Old 09-12-2003, 02:04 PM
animaux

Ironite has been shown to have high levels of arsenic and other heavy metals. I don't
recommend using it in an organic program, or any soil program. Dry molasses sold at feed
stores is a much better iron, and it is in an easy form for microbes to ingest and make
available. For smaller areas, black strap molasses which has not been de-sulfured is
another great way to get iron to plants. It can be used in pump up sprayers at a rate of
one tablespoon to gallon of water, but thoroughly dissolved in hot water before mixing it
with cold water.

Victoria

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 08:37:36 -0600, J Kolenovsky opined:

Old 09-12-2003, 06:42 PM
J Kolenovsky

Ironite has been shown to have high levels of arsenic and other heavy
metals. I don't recommend using it in an organic program, or any soil
program. =

JK -
I wouldn't. Being organic and a native plant
user/advocate/grower/landscaper, I am posting this =

as a general item to rec.gardens for folks who aren't organic and native
and who, also, might not know about this product.

Dry
molasses sold at feed stores is a much better iron, and it is in an easy
form for microbes to
ingest and make available. =

JK -
I like agricultural molasses for those reasons.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:03 PM
animaux

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:19:27 -0600, J Kolenovsky opined:

JK -
I wouldn't. Being organic and a native plant
user/advocate/grower/landscaper, I am posting this
as a general item to rec.gardens for folks who aren't organic and native
and who, also, might not know about this product.

Oh I know. I was extrapolating!

Dry
molasses sold at feed stores is a much better iron, and it is in an easy
form for microbes to
ingest and make available.

JK -
I like agricultural molasses for those reasons.

For smaller areas, black strap molasses which has not been
de-sulfured is another great way to get iron to plants. It can be used
in pump up
sprayers at a rate of one tablespoon to gallon of water, but thoroughly
dissolved in hot water
before mixing it with cold water.

Victoria

[IMG] code is On

IRONITE?? W. Dale Ponds 19 17-09-2004 03:06 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 05:26 AM
adding Ironite to soils and my personal opinions don't read it if you're going to flame me, please madgardener Gardening 2 06-05-2004 11:02 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 03:03 PM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM