Old 10-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] A little tree biology/physiology question

...What I need to know is how much "live" wood do I need to leave
for safe fluid transport? I'd like the hollow to be as
thin-walled as possible.
Jim Lewis

I dunno about Liquidambar, but I had a Chinese elm (sold recently) that I
completely hollowed out after finding the entire trunk body to be rotten.
The trunk was about 3" or 4" in diameter and no portion of the trunk wall
was more than 1/4" thick.
Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge

In most trees, only the outermost few rings are active in water transport. The inner core of the tree is mostly dead, and mostly serves as a structural core.

Nina. My structural core keeps thickening....

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++