Old 10-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] A little tree biology/physiology question

Hi all,

Of course, it pays to know the anatomy of the wood so you make

the cuts
parallel with the xylem, thereby maximizing the efficiency of

the wood
that's remaining. I assume Liquidamber does not have twisting

xylem, like
some conifers, so you can probably assume a straight

up-and-down water flow.

I find this quite interesting specially because I have killed

some junipers
after doing some major carving. Could some one post a list of

twisting vs.
straight xylem species? Guess this would be useful for the

beginners like me.

I may (read: am quite likely to) be wrong, but I don't think it
is necessarily species specific. I think you just have to look
hard at the tree. Except in the youngest specimens, twists
usually are viewable on the outside.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++