Old 10-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] A little tree biology/physiology question

I may (read: am quite likely to) be wrong, but I don't think it
is necessarily species specific. I think you just have to look
hard at the tree. Except in the youngest specimens, twists
usually are viewable on the outside.

I think it's a mixture of nature and nurture. I seem to recall that there are some cultivars of pomegranite that have twisting xylem, and these are prized by bonsaija. And I think some pine species always spiral. But in many cases, the environment of th
e tree shapes its development. But as you say, you can look at the bark and tell.

Often, if you look at maples planted in the city, in autumn half the tree will turn red before the other; usually it is the side fed by roots that are under pavement. Those roots are water-stressed, and all the branches fed by those roots are also stresse
d.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++