Old 10-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] A little tree biology/physiology question

Hi Nina. You asked,
Yikes! What a tree! Is it... um.... alive? Because
with that bark beetle damage, I'd be willing to bet
that none of that wood is functional.

It is alive. The only photo I have of it captures it at the end of a
foreground precipice (lower left & not easily recognized) standing before a
larger scene [posted on Potensai Gallery].

Thanks for the great explanation of resin flow & dysfuntion, live wood
thickness, etc.. BTW, residents say the pinion pines are quickly being
denuded by beetles. Junipers far outnumber pines in both exposed and
protected areas.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: