Old 11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Kenni Judd

Default C. Hawaiian Wedding Song x BLC. Elizabeth Hearn -

Mariana: If there were photos, they didn't make it, at least not to me.
However, from your description, I am assuming that the sheath is a recent
development on a Catt division of only 2 pbs with a badly-damaged root
system.

If my assumptions are correct, and further assuming you want the plant live
beyond its first flowering, then you should not _allow_ it to expend energy
on flowers until it has a chance to recuperate.

Orchids in fear of imminent death will often try to send up a "swan song"
set of flowers, in a last-ditch effort to reproduce. This type of division
with only 2 pbs isn't strong enough to support flowers and still live, esp.
if it doesn't have a good root system -- it just wants to get its pollen out
into the reproductive stream. If you cut off the buds as soon as you can
get at them, you can force the plant to redirect its efforts towards its own
survival ... which is still problematic ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
et...
This orchid went through so much while in my care. It survived a p/b rot,
loosing 2 p/b's out of 4 in total. Then a case of overwatering which left
the orchid with no "legs" to support itself. Finally, it grew a several

new
growths with one particular p/b that is much rounder and plumper then the
rest. As you see by the photos, there is what looks to be like a small
sheath growing from it. However, I am hoping that you can see that it is
also not quite right looking. Both the leaf and the sheath are kind of
wrinkly and don't look quite right. In the summer it spent pretty much in
full sun most of the day (sometimes outdoors sometimes on the southern
window sill). I water it and fertilize it when the mix is dry (I stick my
fingers in there g).
Is this something that I need to be concerned with or will it straighten

out
and produce a flower/s?

Mariana