Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 AM
Kay

Default Worms in the aquarium

I need some help identifying worms in my aquarium. My tank is heavily
planted, and I recently found some worms moving along the substrate. They
are reddish-brown, about 2 inches in length and 1/8" in diameter. I would
supply a photo but they disappear very quickly.

My questions a

1. What are they?
2. Where would they have come from?
3. Are they harmful to the fish?

I had worms like that. They didn't hurt the fish. But my fish were to
small to catch them. I think they were called a sand worm? Came with a
plant, They kind scotch allong. They grab the gravel on one end when you
use the syphon. They reproduce at a fast rate. They live off of excess
fish food.

How I got rid of them was to vaccum the gravel deep with every water
change, I knew they were gone after a few weeks of vaccming and no worm.
They really hang on tight on the vaccum.

Kay