Old 10-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Jim K

Default Worms in the aquarium

I need some help identifying worms in my aquarium. My tank is heavily
planted, and I recently found some worms moving along the substrate. They
are reddish-brown, about 2 inches in length and 1/8" in diameter. I would
supply a photo but they disappear very quickly.

My questions a

1. What are they?
2. Where would they have come from?
3. Are they harmful to the fish?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 AM
Kay

I need some help identifying worms in my aquarium. My tank is heavily
planted, and I recently found some worms moving along the substrate. They
are reddish-brown, about 2 inches in length and 1/8" in diameter. I would
supply a photo but they disappear very quickly.

My questions a

1. What are they?
2. Where would they have come from?
3. Are they harmful to the fish?

I had worms like that. They didn't hurt the fish. But my fish were to
small to catch them. I think they were called a sand worm? Came with a
plant, They kind scotch allong. They grab the gravel on one end when you
use the syphon. They reproduce at a fast rate. They live off of excess
fish food.

How I got rid of them was to vaccum the gravel deep with every water
change, I knew they were gone after a few weeks of vaccming and no worm.
They really hang on tight on the vaccum.

Kay

Old 13-12-2003, 04:42 AM
JEB

Sounds like a leech. Probably got in on a plant.

James

Old 13-12-2003, 06:35 AM
coelacanth

I think these are probably planaria or other flatworm. They live
on excess food and are usually harmless (though they have near
relatives which are parasitic and not usually seen in a free
swimming stage). Try feeding a little less if they get out of hand.
Many fish relish them, so they may just disappear.

They may have come to you on a plant or unnoticed in the
bag with a fish.

-coelacanth

Old 13-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Dunter Powries

Planaria are white, somewhat smaller than described, and will usually be
seen on the glass after lights-out.

. com...

Old 13-12-2003, 08:42 PM
JEB

I had a couple of worms matching this description precisely, and they
were leeches. They are difficult to catch in my tank because it has
slate attached to the back and they hide out behind the slate. I did
get one, photographed it, but don't have a web presence and can't post
pics here. This is probably one of the non-parasitic variety, as it
never has bothered any of my fish, shrimp or snails.

Hunt around for some photos of leeches on the net and you should be able
to identify it, if that is what it is. You may not see anything exactly
like it, but the body shape will be close enough to compare.

James

Old 14-12-2003, 05:32 AM
coelacanth

uhh--there are hundreds of species of planaria
(Turbellaria) in a variety of colors and
sizes. The ones I've seen most frequently are
brown and greater than one inch in length.

-coelacanth

P.S. Sorry to get all defensive, but I raised
these guys for a science fair project one
year long ago and I'm quite fond of the
little buggers.